Capital Group considers the privacy of its investors to be of fundamental importance and has established a policy to maintain the privacy of the information you share with us.
Personal information we collect
We do not sell any information to any third parties. However, we may collect and retain certain nonpublic personal information about you, including:
- information we receive from you or from your financial professional, such as your name, address, date of birth and tax identification number;
- information from third-party data services (for example, to update your address when you have moved and demographic information to better understand your investment and service needs);
- information, such as account balance and transaction activity, about your investment transactions (including, to the extent necessary for our servicing your account(s) with us, your investments with third parties); and
Personal information we may disclose
We occasionally disclose nonpublic personal information about you to affiliates and nonaffiliates as permitted by law. Some instances when we have shared information include:
- disclosing information to a third party in order to process account transactions that you request or authorize;
- sharing information with companies related to us, as permitted by law, to make you aware of new funds or other services that we offer;
- disclosing your name and address to companies that mail account-related materials such as shareholder reports (note that these companies may not use the information for any other purpose);
- disclosing information to research companies or other service providers that help to assess and improve our financial services, and help us provide tailored experiences and advertisements about our products and services; and
- disclosing information in connection with legal proceedings such as responding to a subpoena.
When personally identifiable financial information is shared with third parties, they are not permitted to use the information for any purpose other than to assist our servicing of your account(s), including helping us improve the services we offer, or as permitted by law.
We restrict access to your nonpublic personal information to authorized persons. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with federal standards to guard your nonpublic personal information.
These measures reflect our commitment to maintaining the privacy of your confidential information. We appreciate the confidence you have shown by entrusting us with your assets.
To comply with federal regulations, information we receive from you will be used to verify your identity.
The Internet: The American Funds and Capital Group affiliates’ websites are proprietary. While we strive to protect all information we receive when you log on to the websites, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us online, and you do so at your own risk. By entering the password-protected areas of our websites, you consent to our contacting you to discuss our products and services. We do not look for web browser “do not track” requests.
We may use data collected to customize advertisements to you on other sites as you browse the Web. We may supplement the information we collect with nonpersonal information from other sources in order to enhance advertisements. We participate in the industry Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising managed by the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA). As part of this service, our website and any online advertisements from us are generally delivered with icons that help consumers understand how data about them is being used, and provides choices for consumers who want more control and an ability to opt out of such behavioral (targeted) advertising. Please click on the DAA icon or the icon in any targeted advertisements to opt out if you do not want your browsing behavior used for online behavioral advertising purposes. In addition, Capital Group participates in the Adobe Marketing Cloud Device Co-op to better understand your multiplatform usage of certain websites and Capital Group apps, and to deliver tailored promotions. Learn more about how Adobe does this and how you may opt out of this program.
This privacy disclosure applies to investment and shareholder services offered by:
- American Funds Distributors®
- American Funds Service Company®
- Capital Research and Management Company℠
- Capital Bank and Trust Company℠
- Capital Guardian Trust Company℠
- Capital International, Inc.℠
and the American Funds and Capital Group mutual funds with “American Funds” or “Capital” in their name, and includes the funds listed below:
- AMCAP Fund®
- American Balanced Fund®
- American High-Income Municipal Bond Fund®
- American High-Income Trust®
- American Mutual Fund®
- The Bond Fund of America®
- Emerging Markets Growth Fund℠
- EuroPacific Growth Fund®
- Fundamental Investors®
- The Growth Fund of America®
- The Income Fund of America®
- Intermediate Bond Fund of America®
- International Growth and Income Fund℠
- The Investment Company of America®
- Limited Term Tax-Exempt Bond Fund of America®
- The New Economy Fund®
- New Perspective Fund®
- New World Fund®
- Short-Term Bond Fund of America®
- SMALLCAP World Fund®
- The Tax-Exempt Bond Fund of America®
- The Tax-Exempt Fund of California®
- U.S. Government Securities Fund®
- Washington Mutual Investors Fund℠
(Please see americanfunds.com/individual/privacy.html.)
For more information
For information about your account or any of the funds’ services, please contact your financial professional.
You can also call American Funds for assistance:
If your plan ID begins with BRK or IRK, please call (800) 421-4120.
If your plan ID begins with 1, 2 or CEBS, please call (800) 421-6621.